Thursday, May 6, 2010

Welcome To Writing Theory

I had to do it. I had to start my own blog.

Not because it's cool. Not because everyone is doing it. It's because writing is directly related to my future happiness. At least, it's supposed to be. I've been interested in writing since primary school, something like twenty years ago, where I had stories I had written printed in the local paper. In my teens I wrote poetry, most of it centred around (unrequited) love. The poetry developed into writing rhymes/raps in my late teens, which coincided with assignments, essays and research projects during my Psychology degree. In my fourth year of studying Psychology I decided that counselling wasn't for me so I changed my mind about becoming a psychologist. After all, it would have taken a minimum of another two years before I would have even been provisionally accredited. The Psychology degrees already conferred on me did help me land jobs helping people, though. And I love the knowledge gained from studying. That's enough for me.

Anyway, years later, at the tender young (?) age of 28, I was given an opportunity to try copywriting for a company I was working for (which will remain unnamed for reasons that will remain unexplained). I jumped at the chance, got my wish and began tinkering with the idea of a career that was completely natural to me. What's that? Creative writing daily? Wait... you want to pay me for that? Wow. Why did it take me so long? Before that point I never once thought of combining my love of writing with the undeniable fact that I may need to work 40 hours a week for the next 40 years of my life.

I spent the rest of 2008 and 2009 writing flyers/blog posts/articles for a variety of online and offline businesses and websites. I've continued this into 2010, though full-time work (and not the natural kind) seems to be getting in the way of the writing dream. So I decided yesterday to remedy this by submitting a test post to my very own blog (from work) and to attempt to continue this daily from now on. Yesterday's entry was a blog post I wrote over a year ago (sometime around Barack Obama's inauguration). Today's entry is a short intro to my love of writing and the reason for this blog.

I'm not going to waste any time describing myself and my interests just yet. The idea is that the posts will do that themselves. Topics will vary from day to day, as will my mood. Join me for the ride.

Thank you and welcome to the world of my writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment