Friday, May 14, 2010

Of Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling...

This probably doesn't come as a shock or surprise from someone who wants a career as a writer, but a major pet peeve of mine is incorrect spelling, grammar and punctuation. It's everywhere. I mean, it was everywhere before the internet was widely used. These days most text (that isn't purchased) contains some kind of error, somewhere. Maybe even in my own writing (shock horror!). You know the type of mistakes I'm talking about. There's the there/their/they're type of mistake. There's the 'putting an apostrophe before any word that ends in s' mistake. Then there's general misuse of commas, hyphens and the rest.

I have a good friend who is dyslexic and even though I correct her, she gets an automatic pass because it's not her fault. Maybe everyone else is lazy, or stupid. Or maybe the teachers are at fault? Maybe the bad spellers are great at something I have no idea about. Maybe mathematicians look down at those of us who have only ever attempted high-school level maths. Maybe, just maybe, nobody cares anymore? Kids these days are shortening every single word they can. They typ lik dis on Facebk. Maybe text messages are to blame... the 140 character limit.

I feel I've overanalysed this enough already. The image below explains how I feel pretty well.


1 comment:

  1. Hey grandpa, Facebk is totes too long! Try FB or (my personal fave) Facey. But without the capital F, too much effort for us kids of today. TTFN xo

    ReplyDelete