Friday, May 7, 2010

Pretty Pictures

I've been reading blogs since before they were called blogs. I'm also aware that writing for the web is different than writing for any other medium. You need to grab people's attention as quick as possible. That goes for pictures and videos too. Apparently they need to be all over blogs, and I do see the appeal, but I'm more interested in producing slabs of text for everyone to read. I was thinking about this today and figured I might as well figure it out by writing it out.

Take this post for example. What type of imagery would suit? Would it make anyone want to read the words? Does any of that even matter? I could post links to other sites if that helps spice things up. You know, I could link you to a video on YouTube or a song on MySpace. Maybe my Twitter or Facebook profile? What about other slabs of text? I'd be happier linking one person to an interesting author or a well-written poem than I would linking 500 to the latest Lady Gaga video. Not that I have anything against Gaga. Well not as yet anyway... I'm still gathering evidence.

Here's an artist's impression of part of a sacred peyote ceremony. Just because.

No comments:

Post a Comment